Network Printing with Windows 95/98/ME
These are the steps to allow a computer to access a printer
connected to another computer on the network. They assume the
printer is already connected and working with the computer
connected to the printer and that the printer is assigned as
shared at the other computer. Note that serial printers are not
1) On the Windows Desktop, use NOTEPAD to edit the
C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Add the statement:
(For Windows ME you have to add the environmental variable JSP
with a value of C - ask your computer tech how to do that)
and save the file. Now re-start the computer.
2) Go to Start->Settings->Printers. Add a Network Printer using
Add printer. If you donþt know the name of the printer,
In this example, the shared printer name is \\SERVER\HP
but the name will be different in your case. (This name what is
typed in the Network path or queue name).
3) Open (click) the new HP network printer icon. Choose
Printer->Properties, and click the Details Tab.
4) Click Capture Printer Port. Choose Device: LPT2
5) In Path: type the name of the share printer (e.g. \\SERVER\HP)
Or in the Path box there is a down arrow that you can click
to select the correct printer name from a list.
6) Click the Re-connect at login. Click OK.
7) Go into Jewelry Shopkeeper (Pro). Choose Printer Control
Codes (Choice 8,A). Press Esc to add a new printer (Choose
"NOT USED - ADD PRINTER" in Shopkeeper) Since were this is
Hewlett Packard Laser in this example, duplicate the HP
Laserjet. Name the printer "Network HP" and type LPT2 for
the Printer Port.
8) Once in the Printer Control Codes menu, select 0 to Exit and
9) Go to the Printer Redirection Feature [Choice 8,B]. Note the
printer number assigned to the printer called: Network HP.
10) Press <Esc> to "Customize Printing Destinations" screen.
Type the newly assigned printer number in any print job to
be redirected to the network printer.