- Use XP Professional for all computers
- we much prefer FAT32 over NTFS
NTFS has too many security guidelines that are unnecessary
- DO NOT use wireless networking - it's too slow
- DO NOT install Norton AV.
REMOVE IT if it is already installed!
- DO NOT setup a DOMAIN. use Workgroup (w/ simple name)
- Give the workstations/server SIMPLE share names (eg. "SERVER")
- Share the ROOT of the C: drive on the designated Server.
Make sure to make the C: drive shareable READ and WRITE
- ONLY PCL compatible printers will work.
Look out for host based printers - they WILL NOT work.
- Install printers on ALL workstations and remove any old drivers
that are no longer used
- USB printers will work on XP and Win2K ONLY!
- On each workstation , map F: to the ROOT of server.
- To setup shortcuts,
Open My computer, F:, COMPLINK.JS and
double click JSICONS.BAT (NOT JS.ICO)
(double check the working folder is F:\COMPLINK.JS\DATA.JS)