HP LaserJet 6P and 6MP Printers - Windows 95: Error Writing to LPT1
The following error messages are displayed when trying to print from within a DOS prompt
in Windows 95:
"There was an error writing to LPTx for the printer <other printer name>." "Cannot
access the port. It may be in use by another program." "Quit other programs and try
To print to an HP LaserJet 6P/6MP printer from a DOS application within Windows 95:
1. Verify one of the drivers below is set as default.
* HP LaserJet 6P/6MP Standard
* HP LaserJet 6P/6MP Enhanced
* HP LaserJet 6P/6MP PostScript (TM)
2. Highlight the default printer and click with the right mouse button.
3. Select "Properties".
4. Click on the "Details" tab.
5. In the "Print to the Following Port" area, verify that the printer is set to the appropriate LPT port.
6. Click on "Spool Settings".
7. Verify that "Spool print jobs so program finishes printing faster" and "Start printing after
first page is spooled" are selected.
8. Verify that "Enable Bidirectional support" is selected.
9. Click OK, and select "Port Settings".
10. Turn on "Spool MS DOS Print Jobs" and click OK.
11. OK out of "Details". Try printing.